My grandmother or one of my aunts might decide to make ice-cream late in the evening and then the race was on to find all the supplies before all the stores closed. Everyone would help crank and maybe by midnight we'd have ice-cream!
In the evenings I loved to hanging around the kitchen table listening to the adults talk and laugh while they played cards. Even my parents seemed less "square" on these visits. Family and friends would come and go all weekend. Everyone was welcome and everyone was fed! I remember going to a nearby Italian deli and getting fresh Italian bread and meatloaf for sandwiches. Some mornings my grandmother would make doughnuts- what a production that was!
Even after my aunts got married, we'd still all come to stay at my grandparents' home quite often. My uncles were great, especially the one who would say and do the craziest things and sing "Born to Be Wild" and "Saturday Morning Confusion" as he went through the house getting the kids all stirred up. Believe me, it was wild and confusing when we were all there! My other uncle teased us all about something- as a preteen, it was my Donny Osmond obsession that amused him.
Changes came over the years- my grandfather who we adored had a stroke and then passed away when I was 12, my aunts got divorced and remarried, and my grandmother moved to a smaller house- but the adventures didn't stop. I had my first lesson driving a stick shift in my aunt's VW Bug with my cousins and brother in the back seat screaming "We'll all be killed! On a Christmas visit while I was in college, my aunt threw me the keys to her brand new Camaro to take my cousins and brother to McDonald's. This was a big deal for a girl who was rarely allowed to drive the aging family Gran Tarino! I had my first beer in a bar with my aunt and Grandmother, who both swore to the bartender that I was old enough to drink. (I wasn't)
We still get together every summer. My grandmother died when my youngest daughter was a baby and one of my aunts died unexpectedly, but it's still always a crazy time. Family times are at the top of my favorite childhood memories list!
I’m just going to confess my comma usage is deplorable so with that off my chest I will continue.
ReplyDeleteHum De Dum, without admitting my age let’s just say I sort of faintly remember Davy Jones, Twiggy, pink sponge rollers, and white go go boots!
Glad to have found you via FF. Feel free to drop by my blog anytime, it’s always nice to see a new face around the place.
Cathy
Hey just stopping by to say Hi from Friday Follow!
ReplyDeleteHappy Follow Friday!
Tami
www.heartsmakefamilies.com
Happy FF - new follower. What a great story! I hope that my kids have memories like those. HAHA! I have some good stories of my cousins and I when we were little.
ReplyDeletemisadventuresofmomof3.me
OK - without admitting my age either, I may remember how big of a deal it was when the Beatles were on Ed Sullivan. I may have actually owned a pair of white Go-Go boots, and I still smile when I hear "Born to be Wild".
ReplyDeleteSusan
Happy Saturday!! I am a Friday Follow running late!!!!
ReplyDeleteSarah
sarahsblogoffun.blogspot.com
Every young girl who grew up in the sixties had or wanted to have white go-go boots! And as for pink foam rollers, I spent way too many sleepless nights trying to have curly hair.
ReplyDeleteStopping by to say hello with Friday Follow. Hope you have had a fantastic weekend.
ReplyDeleteFelissa
Please stop by my new blog and say hello
http://www.twolittlecavaliers.blogspot.com
http://www.felissahadas.blogspot.com
I love your childhood memories!! Wish I could remember more of mine but even though they were awesome, I can't really remember details!!
ReplyDelete